I took both the girls in for their well child checks today. One of the benefits of having such close birthdays I guess. It was an interesting visit.
I was sure Lilia had been packing on the pounds this time and was interested to see her numbers go up. They didn't. In fact, I got asked if Lilia likes food... I had to laugh. She'll eat anything, edible or not. She's small but she definitely has a healthy amount of pork on her!
Jaedyn is hovering at average. Which really is amazing considering her parents. But the disinterest Jaedyn shows for picking up a pen is no longer "not a big deal". This was something I brought up at her 3 year visit cuz all the other little kids seemed to be fascinated with this activity and Jaedyn just wasn't interested. I was told not to push it. So I haven't.
You know those questionnaires you fill out at the pediatric office? Yeah, the ones that are designed to stress parents out and make them feel like they're a solar system failure so they'll step it up? hehe. Actually I look at some of the questions and think "I don't know if they can do that, I've never tried that with them before. shoot. (great example: "does your child poke at a cheerio inside a clear plastic bottle and try to get it out?" Um... gee... Why didn't I think to try that before I came here today?" Tangent. Sorry.
1/2 the questionnaire this time seemed to be in regards to writing skills. My child has none. zip. zero. She won't look at a pen or crayon, let alone pick one up. She's just not interested. Chad keeps telling me preschool is unnecessary for her. I'm beginning to think it's not such a bad idea for her.
Thoughts?
Lilia Karolee 1 year
Weight: 17 lbs 15 oz (5th %)
Height: 27 in (4th %)
Head circ: 47cm (90%) surprising she doesn't weigh more!
I was also told not to even think about a forward facing car seat for a while :)
Wasn't gonna...
Jaedyn Cronin 4 years (almost)
Weight: 35 lbs (50%)
Height: 40 in (50%)
No measurement on the head but this kid has been in 5T hats since she was 2!
She gets her kindergarten shots next time! Yikes, how time flies!




6 comments:
My kids are pretty disinterested in writing as well. They do color... but no writing. I am putting them in preschool next year for a few reasons but I think being around other kids their age who are writing & learning letters will make them want to. I would gladly sit down & teach them but I firmly believe they have to show interest for a parent to do that. I would definitely recommend preschool. You know she's fine socially but that extra help might help avoid some stresses once Kindergarten stops. You can always put her in & if you don't feel like its doing any good, pull her out. It'd be harder to wait & then try to get her in somewhere.
Your girls are perfect & beautiful!
I meant, once Kindergarten STARTS :)
That cheerio question was funny--seriously, who thinks of that? I think the point they were getting at though is trying to determine if she's gaining the fine motor skills necessary to be able to control a pen with her hands. This is a huge focus in younger Montessori classrooms (developing that skill), where they do tons of activities such as having to move beads from one container to another using tweezer, or moving puffy ball with an ice cube picker-upper thing, or using an ice cream scoop to move something. Another fun one we did with one of our 5th grade down syndrome student that hated writing activities because he hadn't yet developed the hand muscle needed to wield a pen, was those plastic bead kits. He loved doing that, and we didn't even worry about him making a pattern with the colors--the point of the activity was him putting the beads on to build up the muscles (example here: http://www.joann.com/perler-beads-fun-fusion-fuse-bead-activity-kit-pretty-pets/zprd_10895175a/?green=1DDAF692-0461-5703-912A-33F5AA063C85). Anyway, she might be doing fine in this area, but if she's struggling with it at all, it might be a reason behind her lack of interest in holding pens or crayons.
There are some activities you can do too to help build her interest in letters in writing without getting out a pencil. Such as: drawing letters in sand with her finger, or drawing letters on mommy's back and having you guess what they are, cutting out big letters with a fine sandpaper (or other texture paper) and having her trace them with her finger. Activities like this are used in Montessori to build children up to the writing with a pencil level. I also see lots of ideas floating around pinterest of different activities for home that build these skills in such ways.
Hope that helps! If it's not relevant to Jadyn, just ignore it :) Your girls are absolute cuties! Lilia seems like such a big girl to me compared to having a 4 month old, but...I guess Em only has 2 more inches and she'll be caught up with her! ha, she can't escape the tall genes :)
I thought of another activity we did with for ALL our 4th-6th students to help them continue to build the muscles--plastic canvas with yarn and big needles. Our boy with down syndrome and girl with autism especially loved this (I say that because they were around a pre-school level with both hand control and attention spans). We'd thread the needles, but they loved going in and out of the plastic canvas, especially if you can find a fun heart shape or something she likes. Holding the needle is what builds the muscle.
Taking small stickers off and putting them on a paper is another activity. Basically having to "pinch" things.
Also, just finding some kind of tool that she adores might perk her interest....such as markers, sparkly pens, paint brush and paint, chalk and chalk board, magnadoodle...
just some more ideas! Good luck!
Just ignore me if this stuff isn't helpful :) But found this and thought it might help:
25 Alphabet Activities for Kids:
http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2012/05/25-alphabet-activities-for-kids.html
This is actually a Montessori site showing what they teach in preschool. So, they learn about a turtle, then have a ton of activities about turtles, but if you notice how often the activities are developing fine motor skills, not just reiterating the turtle. Also, if you scroll past the turtle, you'll see more examples of activities that age group enjoys focused on development:
http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com/search/label/school%20corner
And this doesn't have a lot to do with writing, but I loved how you showed Jayden to clap her hands together really hard if she had extra energy. This lady put together a quick-sheet of such activities. I remember the pushing/pulling heavy objects one was big at the school I worked at:
http://creativewithkids.com/printable-kids-sensory-activities-list/
Alright, I don't want to overwhelm you with ideas, these are just some out there. I actually got these all of my friend's pinterest board. She's the one in Logan I told you about, but is starting up her own preschool in her home this summer/fall. She's worked with this age group for 4 years and knows a lot more than I do about it. I'll have to introduce you guys sometime, she would be a great go-to person for ideas!
I know, I know...I'm beating a dead horse! This one is great though. Love the stabbing finger foods with a toothpick idea:
http://www.littlehandsbigwork.com/search/label/fine%20motor
Post a Comment