Thursday, August 25, 2022

Table Mountain

 

Seriously. Is this not the best sign ever?!

Helen and I decided to go for a few hikes to prepare for our Rim to Rim hike in October.  We loved the sign at the beginning of the trail hahaha! The hike is called Table Mountain, in Wyoming, and is about 1.5 hour drive. 

We took Atlas, figured it was time to break him in. What a hilarious experience it was climbing rocks behind him. He's so gangly and had no clue what to do or where to go. Which is funny cuz climbing Face... there's nowhere you can really go off trail so I really didn't understand his confusion. "Which way?" "Up you dummy!" LOL  He got the hang of it after a few miles and did great.  We laughed pretty hard when he got high centered on a rock at the beginning of our ascent!  

The views were breath taking!  We were so close to the Grand Tetons!




We've hiked so much together that we automatically know what we will be taking for our lunches and snacks.  Cucumbers are a staple on our hikes.  I used to just pack the lightest of foods which included a lot of dehydrated products. Can you say dehydration anyone? For reals, a cuke is so refreshing on a hot hike!



We were only a few yards from the top of Table Mountain at this point.  My face says it all.  4199 foot elevation gain over 4 miles!!! I'm pooped. I've prepped my feet for the mileage of the Grand Canyon but this ascent about killed me. Due to the busy summer this was my first real elevation this year (I'm not counting Hawaii cuz it was before the summer) and it was a lot! I've got some prep to do!

At the top we stopped for lunch.  Helen asked me if I wanted a half or a whole bagel with avocado.  I laughed and said that was the funniest (or stupidest) question of the trip!  HAHA!  We were so hungry!  



 The hike down was on a trail called Huckleberry.  It was a delightful treat/snack to stop and pick some as we hiked down.

11 miles and 8 hours later we arrived back at our vehicle.  We decided we want to hike it again another day to see what our progress is after some more training.  I loved it!!  


No comments: