Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Kanab

This picture is really quite self explanatory. Helen was on an adventure with Heather and saw it in a gift shop. She thought it applied to me for some reason so sent me a picture of it. Really, it's the story of my life and I need to make it into a t-shirt! Okay, on to document our most recent adventure!

Helen planned a getaway for herself, Lilia, Ebony, and me. We took off on Saturday morning and drove down to pick her up in southern Utah where she was already adventuring. The girls were incredible the whole way and we only stopped once, they watched one movie, and were so kind to each other. We also listened to CS Lewis' The Magician's Nephew. I've decided my children always need to get along... it's so much more pleasant!

When we got down to meet Helen, Alexandra (her niece) was so sad to see us head off on the adventure. I couldn't handle the long face so quietly extended an invitation for her to join us to her mother- you know, just in case the answer was no. We problem solved the lack of clothing and gear for our adventure and pretty soon we were off on our new adventure +2! I was a little nervous about how 3 girls would get along... no desire for 3rd wheel drama, but those girls were fantastic together! The whole trip was just so positive with only a little complaining, no fighting, and fun to be had by all.

We arrived in Kanab late in the day but stopped to do a little exploring at a man made tunnel called Belly of the Dragon. Apparently this tunnel was created as a drain, it was massive!

It was a massive tunnel, I kid you not! The kids were in raptures running through it in the cool air. It was about this time that I started really regretting my Idaho long sleeves! I couldn't believe how warm it was and was wondering if I was gonna be in trouble. But fortunately, Saturday was the warmest day of the trip and we all made out quite well.

Next up was a little exploring in Moqui caves. These caves were apparently mining caves. What were they mining in such a dry area you ask? Well after a quick google search we discovered they were actually mining sand for making glass. Aha! It actually made sense 😀

It was on this trip that I learned an important parenting lesson. Always check your children's packing... even if they do seem fairly independent. I checked Ebony's suitcase and it all looked good. I did not check her backpack and alas she had failed to pack her helmet for canyoneering- despite being reminded 3 times to grab it! I had checked Lilia's backpack and it all looked good. I did not check her suitcase and alas she had failed to pack her new hiking shoes, opting instead for a pair of chacos from last year that she hadn't tried on. This would be a good time to mention that Lilia is almost 12 and starting to grow... I was quite put out with my children and not very nice about these discoveries. I felt I had adequately provided, reminded, and prepared them but suddenly we were not prepared. Enter fear. Enter grumpy mom. But once again, it all turned out ok. There was a small shop in Kanab that rented bikes and sold helmets so we were able to get a helmet for Ebony and Lilia swore her shoes, though tight, would be just fine and tough girl that she is, was able to do just fine with a pair of socks and too tight chacos.

Oh my goodness when we finally headed to our hotel it had been such a long day but a good day. We'd traveled far, seen amazing things, and been in great company. But... the hotel was not amazing. Ha! It was dreadful! We ended up searching for a hotel and after stopping at 3 others we finally found one that was perfect for our group. We had to pay a little more but it was well worth the weight it lifted off our shoulders. I don't know what it is about hotels but good golly it had the worst feeling and really was just gross. Peace of mind and space is sometimes worth the extra cost and our trip was so much better!

Plus our new hotel had a pool! And for these 3 fish, nothing coulda made them happier faster! They spent time each evening and loved every minute of it, frequently asking for more minutes. LOL

Sunday we went to Church. The people here were very friendly and we were able to pick a local avid hiker's brain on some future plans. This turned out to be not such a good thing though. We were considering a few hikes, one of which was called Peek-a-boo. (Not to be confused with Escalante's Peek-a-boo- which is fab.) In order to access the hike there is a 3 mile dirt road. He told us the hike was amazing and we should go, that cars could handle it just fine. Online looked okay with AWD too. When we got to the road there were some people with their side by sides loading up. They recommended not to walk the road but also said 4WD was necessary. When we mentioned we had AWD, they said we'd probably be fine... just to gun it. That made me nervous and Alexandra flat out said nope! But we decided to try it anyway and within seconds of starting the road, we knew it was a bad idea. But there was nowhere to turn around. So Helen did as recommended and gunned it. We made it probably within a half mile of the destination before getting stuck. Yup. That happened. Crap. Front wheels were buried 1/3 of their height and we weren't going anywhere.
 
This is what despair looks like. For real. We were praying like crazy, quietly and out loud. The kids stayed so calm but after the fact expressed how freaked they were. They helped us gather sage brush to put under the tires and we inch by agonizing inch pushed the car to turn it around. Alexandra insisted we needed a side by side to pull us out. Kinda cute. And wished out loud that we had service so she could call 911. Also cute. Lilia and Ebony were both just very silent and were quick to follow instructions. After what felt like an eternity, a couple of girls came along and suggested we use the mats from our car to lay under the tires. (spoiler: we got out and those mats sucked to clean) They also helped us push and suggested we air down the tires even more. Such angels. Then a guy in a truck stopped and was going to help pull us out but got stuck himself, with 4WD just cuz he stopped to talk to us. He was able to free himself with some back and forth and carried on his way. 

We kept at it. Then the car started stinking some sweet smelling stink from all the gunning. Enter hopelessness. I was battling this feeling trying just not to think because if I did I would have to acknowledge the fears that were mounting: It's hot, we're stuck, what has the strength to pull us out, we have to walk back, we're so isolated, the car is breaking... and on and on. So instead I just prayed harder and pushed with all my strength. We got the car unstuck and the girls continued on their way. We were turned around and facing a 2.5 mile return through the sand... only this time it would be uphill. I told everyone to get back in the car, I would push, when they got loose, they should just keep going and I would pick up the mats and walk behind. I got my backpack so I would have water for the trek and the kids loaded up. The important part of the plan was to just keep going. We needed every ounce of momentum. I pushed, Helen gunned, and the car crept forward. I gathered up the mats and just prayed in gratitude as I watched the car continue forward despite the slight incline. I continued to pray as the steep ascent would be at the very end, knowing there was no possible way with our strength and the car's capability combined, that it would be enough to get us out. I walked. It was hot. And I prayed, knowing that it was through the grace of God that we had managed what we had so far. 

Pretty soon, I got a text. Oh, we got signal. Helen let me know she had found a place she felt good about pulling over and was waiting for me about 3/4 mile up the road. I was furious. I replied, "please no! Get the car and the kids out of here. I'm coming." She said she would except she had already turned off the car and the keys were in my pack. Why did she turn off the car?! It's so hot! Why did she stop? She needed the momentum. This was NOT my plan! We were never going to make it up the hill at the end.

A side by side approached. They asked if I was ok. I replied I was doing just fine and they started to leave. They stopped again and asked if I wanted a ride. I actually wanted to walk because I needed time. I needed to process. We had just been through a very physically and emotionally draining ordeal. But I found myself accepting and hopping in. We made a little small talk and then I explained what I was doing walking out there by myself with car mats strapped to my pack. When we pulled up to the car I hopped out and they made to take off, wishing us luck. Then they paused and the driver said, "you know, up ahead where the road forks, if you take the left fork, it's a longer way back to the road but you'll be able to avoid the hill". We gasped. There's a fork? No hill? He explained how to find it and described land marks to insure that we had taken the right way and then he was off. Never even suspecting how he had just rescued us, filled us with hope, and been an answer to the prayers of 5 desperate girls. 

It is still incredible to me how clear hindsight is. That is why Helen felt she should stop. That is why she had shut off the car- if she hadn't she would have kept going once she had received my text telling her to GO! That is why I'd found myself agreeing to a ride I didn't want. Because MY plan was not going to save us. We needed a miracle. And that miracle came in the form of a man. Thank goodness God had a better plan. I think I needed to see His hand manifest a little more plainly in my life.

Later, Lilia was reading her scriptures. She read about Zion and how the Lord can make us better and we had a small discussion. "To be made better", what does that require from us? We decided it requires our best efforts. And a willing heart, cuz even with our best efforts, we aren't going anywhere... like the car that day.

So we were saved for another adventure... same day. We did not go back to sulk at the hotel but instead aired up the tires, had a picnic in the grass, had a mini psych debriefing, (there may or may not have been a few tears shed at that point) and then continued on to hike Mansard Trial for 5 miles.

And discovered some petroglyphs!

At the end of the day, it felt like a week had passed because so much had happened!

Oh look! Isn't Ebony's helmet beautiful? 😡 Monday we got to take the girls canyoneering at Diana's Throne. We have definitely been in prettier canyons but this one had a longest rappel of 60 feet with a lot of areas we got to scramble up or down. This made it perfect for a beginner's canyon and the girls had a fabulous time. The kids loved trying to figure ways to climb down and there were several areas that we could hook in or help each other down and the kids chose to climb. It was fun to see their down climbing skills improving.

As well as their rappelling skills. This kid killed it!

And this kid is a pro!

And Helen... well Helen is all things wonderful and I'm so thankful for all her planning and generosity to invite us along on her adventures!

Tuesday we headed out to Wirepass which for me, was the highlight of the trip. This was a series of slot canyons that were fun. There was an 8 foot drop in the canyon that was supposed to have a ladder to get down. There was a walk around but who wants to do that?! We would have missed a cool slot section! So we figured out a way down by helping each other. An older couple were at the drop when we came up on it and were ready to turn around. We promised we could get them down and by golly we did! 

Happy faces! Cuz who isn't happy doing a little adventuring in God's country?!

After exiting Wirepass we opted to take the L fork which was dull. It was just more slot canyon with a lot of gravel and sand and the sun was shining over it so it was hot. So we turned back after a while and went exploring up the R fork. These canyons are crazy. Apparently a few people died a few weeks ago from a flash flood. That puzzled me cuz they were experienced hikers, don't they check the weather? Well come to find out they were backpacking because the slots go for miles. So people will be in the slots for days... what?! No thanks. I like to rely on recent weather reports and be in and out in a matter of hours. 

Anyway, the R fork was way more enjoyable. We got to boulder hop through it instead of sinking in sand and it felt like there was AC- cool and with a breeze! So we spend a lot more time in the R fork before heading back.

Oh! And we found the ladder from Wirepass about 25 feet in the air stuck in Buckskin. The power of the flash flood.

So grateful for these 3 girls and their spirit of adventure! And I'm so proud of what good and kind girls they are. And I'm so thankful for the positive relationships in my life and in the lives of my girls!

 

No comments: