Several months ago I was listening to a podcast from the Taylor and Tyler Come Follow me podcast. I believe it was the Easter Special. I can't remember all the details nor context but within it they were talking about judging. Or rather, the importance of not judging. To illustrate this point one of them brought up the subject of the cross and how for many Christian denominations, it is a symbol of worship. The speaker confessed that they for a long time believed that crosses were wrong because we should worship the resurrected Christ and not the symbol of his death. He shared something along those lines with a Christian friend who was somewhat aghast at this judgement. She corrected him and said that no, she wore the cross as a reminder that Christ did suffer and die, but the cross, the EMPTY cross, was a reminder that that was not the end. That he overcame death through resurrection. I loved this. I have always thought a simple cross to be so elegant, but I also was somewhat standoffish toward the emblem. I don't even remember being taught specifically against it. Weird the ideas we can pick up, and a reminder to be careful of what ideas words can plant. Words are powerful and we must be careful with them.
Anyway, I mentioned this to my parents once when they were visiting. The girls were hanging around and Jaedyn must have been listening cuz she piped up too, expressing her admiration of the cross. We had a small discussion about it and the importance of not casting judgement. And that was the end. Or was it?
A few months later, Jaedyn went shopping at a store with her cousin and brought me home a gift. A simple silver cross. An empty cross. It is beautiful and I love it. And I wear it. Not just as an emblem of what it obviously represents. But also as a reminder not to judge. As a reminder to not allow myself to be ruled by the fear of judgement. And as a reminder that there is a little girl who loves me very much.
I give to you... the cross.





No comments:
Post a Comment