Wednesday, August 14, 2013

First day of K!

Oh my dear Jaedyn. The day has come. A day I have longed for... and a day I have dreaded. Look how grown up you are! Kindergarten will be a fantastic experience! You'll learn so much and so fast! Make new friends, become more independent, do your first homework, first teacher... I could go on and on about the firsts in store for you. I hope that you build a positive character, that you treat those around you with respect, that you learn to love learning, and that you work hard. I want you to be happy. I love you sweet girl!



We got Jaedyn enrolled in a charter school and are very impressed with the curriculum and positive learning environment provided there. We have hopes that this will be a good outlet for Jaedyn. She's ready for this, I think. Me too, though I have to admit I'm a bit nervous! What parent isn't though? So I'm comforted knowing that my feelings and misgivings are somewhat normal.

The first day of school, parents were asked to attend with their children. It was a shorter day but they essentially went over what a day would look like in the lives of our kindergarteners. The teacher read a book called "The Kissing Hand" which was a short cute story to help the kids feel better about leaving their moms for school. So the next morning when Jaedyn caught the carpool to school, we gave each other a kissing hand and off she went without a backward glance. I'd been worried how she would do and I was relieved that she went off so securely.  

Lilia and I spent our time that first morning on an hour long walk around our (very small) cul-de-sac. She stopped at every bug and leaf and stick and counted many rocks into stacks and then scattered them again. It was nice to have the time to devote simply to the whims of my 2 year old. However, we were both ready for Jaedyn to come home by the time the day was through.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Look! It's mini-me!! or rather mini-you!!