Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Our Deck!

When we moved into our house we knew we were so happy that the house was move in ready. We didn't even have to paint! But we were up for a few projects in the yard. For starters the window wells were massive and not covered. So one of the first things I did was contact Anderson Window Wells. 4 weeks later we had covers. Project #2 was the deck. This deck was cut for a hot tub and we have zero interest in getting a hot tub so I had to think about how I wanted to finish the deck. 

Before shot

I contacted Chad's cousin Will who had done an amazing job on their deck. Hoping it was something he enjoyed doing I asked if he'd be interested in helping us with the job. To my relief he was!


During the reconstruction

Thank goodness he was too cuz let's face it... this was way beyond Chad or myself! I was amazed at the elaborate understructure he created. And he had such wonderful ideas for how to do things. I found myself mostly nodding and saying "uh huh, yeah, I like that idea". 

After

I was so glad I decided to leave it open on the side instead of making the project simpler and running a rail to the existing stairs. It helps it have a connection to the backyard. 


I kind of drew a picture for Will showing him what I thought I wanted. Thank goodness the man had vision... I am not an artist! And thank goodness he is... at least with wood he is. Cuz I love his design!


Now we obviously need to do some sanding and staining. We're debating b/w a traditional stain and Restore. Any opinions out there? The sad thing about the Restore is you lose the wood grain appearance... that I absolutely love! But it lasts much longer!



1 comment:

Helen said...

VERY impressive! Wow! I really like that design, and I like the color of the wood from what I can tell from the pictures.