Tuesday, August 7, 2012

For all you Boyds out There!

Confession: I am a really bad picture taker. At least I am when I get together with my family. I must be distracted by all the political conversations, teasing, and fried food.

This year we went camping up Tony Grove. We had originally planned a trip to Bryce but when Chad had surgery and took 2 weeks off work, my family generously offered to go somewhere closer so Chad could join us for part of the time.

Tony Grove Lake was beautiful! They had some great camping spots and despite being propped on a hill, we slept fairly well... at the bottom of our tents.


My friend Helen went up early to reserve all our spots, Thanks Helen! And she promised us some good fishing... but somehow the fishing gear never made it out of the cars!


We did however, have some fantastic hiking. We hiked to White Pine on Sunday and spent some interesting time there. What I mean by interesting is... well, Helen got more than she bargained for. In all fairness though, I did warn her about my family! The hike was hot and we all wanted in the water. Problem was... well, none of us had swim gear. So a few of us jumped in fully clothed and figured we'd walk the excess water off on the return trip. A couple of my brothers had other thoughts. So, while we all turned around they stripped down to almost nothing and dove in for a bit of a swim. Ew.

Helen was a champ and packed Jaedyn most of the way. On the way back she was in the lead with Jaedyn on her back, I was in the middle with Lilia on my back, and Chad brought up the rear with the water. I had to giggle, wondering what people who passed us thought of this "Utah family". Hehe. And I was so proud of Chad! Not quite 3 weeks past major abdominal surgery and he completed the entire 8 mile hike! What a trooper! I love you babe!


How this ended up being my only picture from Bear Lake is beyond me. Despite the lack of evidence I think we all had a great time. On Monday we went up and rented a boat and a few jet skis. What a blast! We spent the day tubing and playing in the water. Am I the only one that wished we had had more time for ultimate frisbee? I was really enjoying that game!


Tuesday Helen's family had reserved the redneck slides in Wellsville and generously invited us to join them. This was so fun! Shawn even said, "I wish we had skipped the morning hike and spent more time here!" I thought that summed up the experience pretty well. Though in all fairness, maybe we enjoyed it so much more because we were tired, hot and sweaty?


Shwan and Hailey giving it a go... even the babes in arms loved it!


I think the rule was 4/train... shhhhhhh


Funny story: Boyds, you'll appreciate this! Helen's father made a comment toward the end of the day. As he's watching all the people take turns down the slide he turns to me and says, "You guys must have better shaped rear-ends than us... look how far you go!" haha. So for all you who have been uh... blessed with a "better shaped rear-end" be grateful! Apparently it makes for good sliding!


Hey it's me! Check out my fire! I started that with flint and steel. No, for reals! Helen brought along a little starter and we all fought over who got to start the fires each morning.


Who looks like that when they're hiking?!? Sheesh!


This was the hike we did Tuesday morning before the slides. We almost made it to Naomi Peak. Drat. We got a late start and were on a time crunch so we had to turn around before we reached the summit. I hate that. And we had to hurry back so we could get in some lunch before heading out to the slides. So we ran the whole way back. Ouch. My knee is now feeling better, thank you.


 Of course, we did have some fun on the trail before heading back.


 Well, some of us did :) Jonathan actually broke his femur... but only cuz he throws like a girl!


Yay for brothers who play along!



While we were hiking that morning the kids were back at camp with grandma creating creations. They did some little bead projects and foam puppets and from what I hear had a heck of a time! Jaedyn is still playing with hers... thanks Mom! She doesn't look thrilled though does she? Check out the poor kids left eye. I thought for a minute she had pink eye but about 15 minutes after a good dose of benadryl it was gone. 


Welcome home Shawn and Kellie! I'm so glad you're state side again... for a bit!

Thanks family for all the fun times and good memories! Sherman and Jaime we certainly missed you this year and hope you can make it next! Glad to hear you're all getting over the bug! Can't wait for next year! As long as I don't have to plan it, that is :)

1 comment:

Helen said...

I agree, that ultimate frisbee game was way too short! I wouldn't even call it a game it was so short, more like a warm-up.